Friday, February 1, 2008

On Hoof Boots

Look, there's always a new gimmick out on the market that promises big results if you use it on your horse. Everything from herbal remedies to bitless bridles. Some of the stuff might work, depending on the horse. It's like the barefoot craze. Yeah, some horses can go barefoot with little or no problems but, not all. Tamara is in the "not all" category. That's why the hoof boot caught my attention. Well, one of the reasons.

As I explained in a three part post, Tamara is always injuring herself with conventional shoes. So I decided to give the hoof boots a chance. There is only one distributer for hoof boots in Germany, and none of the tack stores around here in my part of Germany sell the things. So I had to travel 3 hours south in the Swabian Hills to go purchase the boots, otherwise I would have to wait a week; I didn't have a week. Tamara was getting sore feet.

Bernd Jung, who runs the Hufshop with his wife, Claudia, explained the differences in boots and the reason it is important to purchase the correct boot for your horse. He said that the most expensive boot on the market is not necessarily the best boot for your horse. It all depends on the size and shape of the hoof.

After measuring the cardboard templates I made of Tamara's hoofs, we decided that the BOA boot would probably suit both Tamara's needs as well as our riding requirements. So I purchased a pair for her front hoofs, and as her hind leg improves and our riding sessions increase, I will eventually purchase a pair for the back hoofs.

Tomorrow I'll explain the negative aspects I have experienced thus far with the Boot. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

EquineSpirit said...

Great post...wonderful blog! I found your blog through Deanna's (Improving Communication Between Horse and Rider). I'll definitely stay tuned for your next post! ;)

Carney said...

Hey thanks for your comments! Glad to actual see someone is reading!

By the way, anytime you disagree or think there is something that I could do, or could have done different, I welcome criticism as part of the learning process.

Unknown said...

Carney, I agree with equinespirit, and I also found you through Deanna's site.

I have a friend with a carriage business that just bought BOAs for her one Percheron that can't hold a shoe, and she loves them, and so does the horse. Lots more shock absorbing and traction on pavement with them on.

Hope your girl continues to heal!

Theresa